Fort Margherita in Kuching , Sarawak, was built by Rajah Charles Brooke in 1879 and named after his wife. Rajah Charles was the second of three white English Rajahs who ruled Sarawak as a personal fiefdom between 1841-1946. Fort Margherita has been variously used for defense, as a prison and as a police museum. Fort Margherita is now the home of the Brooke Gallery, a brilliant little museum devoted to the history of the Brooke family and their connections with Sarawak. The “smoking mountain” on the right hand side of the photo is Gunung Santubong, 45 minutes drive from Kuching on the coast, towering over the Sarawak Cultural Village and two beach resorts, Damai and Permai.